Duke Integrative Medicine offers a wide array of therapies and services that can complement your cancer treatment and enhance your outcomes. Our services are based on the latest research that demonstrates the proven effects of a multidisciplinary approach to cancer treatment and the powerful connection between body and mind. Caregivers of cancer patients can also benefit from many of our services.
Duke Integrative Medicine Wellness Strategies can help:
- Decrease the side effects of conventional cancer treatment.
- Create strategies to reduce your risk of developing new cancers or other chronic illnesses.
- Learn new ways to potentially reduce the risk of cancer recurrence.
- Complementary therapies, used as adjuncts to mainstream cancer care, are supportive measures that help control side effects, enhance well-being, and improve immune function.
- Massage has been shown to help with easing anxiety.
- People who receive massage report less treatment-related pain and muscle pain.
- Massage may help to improve energy levels and improve sleep.
- Massage may help manage nausea and vomiting.
- Yoga may help to reduce fatigue associated with cancer and cancer treatments.
- Yoga has been show to improve sleep quality in cancer survivors.
- Reductions in anxiety and depression may also occur with yoga practice.
- Yoga can help improve the quality of life for people who are newly-diagnosed with cancer as well as for cancer survivors.
- Can help decrease nausea and vomiting sometimes associated with chemotherapy.
- Positive effects on sleep, pain, and anxiety have been found with acupuncture treatment. Integrative
- A dietitian will help you create an eating plan to maintain your nutritional status and lean body mass while addressing possible weight concerns.
- Develop personalized nutrition strategies including meal planning, appropriate supplements and mindful eating behaviors.
- Make sense of all the nutrition information and recommendations you receive from your providers, family, friends, and the media.
- Offers a supportive, encouraging partnership that can help you feel more empowered and engaged in your health care at an important time in your life.
- Can help you sort through all the health information you have received and create a realistic plan that enables you to make positive, sustainable lifestyle changes based on what matters most to you.
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction: This proven method of using meditation and yoga to cultivate awareness and reduce stress is taught in an eight week/ eight session course by trained experts. In addition to the sessions, you receive a workbook containing handouts, reading lists, support materials, and a set of guided meditation and yoga practices on CD.
- Techniques such as meditation, hypnosis, cognitive-behavior therapy can reduce anxiety, depression, chronic pain, and mood swings in cancer patients and caregivers, and can enhance their coping skills