What is a Pediatric Functional Medicine Consult?
A Pediatric Functional Medicine consultation is a specialty consultation on a particular health issue of concern for children 5 years old and older. During the consultation visit our pediatrician will look at whole-person strategies that address the underlying factors that influence your child’s health, rather than just treating the symptoms of a health condition. The consultation consists of an intensive review of your child’s history and looking at the interactions among genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors that can influence long-term health and complex, chronic disease. This focused visit enables our doctor to give recommendations and assist you in choosing the best plan of care for your child. They then communicate these recommendations to your child’s primary care physician so that everyone can be on board to support you in incorporating these changes into their life.
What is Functional Medicine and Why Does My Child Need It?
Functional medicine is an evolution in the practice of medicine that better addresses the healthcare needs of the 21st century. By shifting the traditional disease-centered focus of medical practice to a more patient centered approach, functional medicine addresses the whole person, not just an isolated set of symptoms.
- Functional medicine practitioners are able to spend more time with their patients, listening to their histories and looking at the interactions among genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors that can influence long-term health and complex, chronic disease. In this way, functional medicine supports the unique expression of health and vitality for each individual.
- The number of people with chronic diseases and disorders have increased, and this requires a whole person approach, instead of only the acute-care system of medicine that most physicians are trained in and practice.
- Functional Medicine physicians are trained to assess the underlying causes of complex, chronic disease and to apply strategies such as nutrition, diet, and exercise to both treat and prevent these illnesses and their patients.
How Is Functional Medicine Different?
Functional medicine involves understanding the origins, prevention, and treatment of complex, chronic disease. Hallmarks of the functional medicine approach include:
- Patient Centered Care. Functional Medicine enables our physicians to practice proactive, predictive, personalized medicine and empowers families to take an active role in their own health.
- An Integrative, Science-based Health Care Approach. Functional Medicine enables our physicians to practice proactive, predictive, personalized medicine and empowers families to take an active role in their own health.
- Integrating Best Medical Practices. Functional medicine integrates traditional Western medical practices with Integrative Medicine, creating a focus on prevention through nutrition, diet, and exercise; use of the latest laboratory testing and other diagnostic techniques; and prescribed combination of drugs and/or evidence-based supplements, therapeutic diets, or
stress management techniques.
We can help children with the following issues:
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Information about cost and scheduling
Duke IM accepts most major insurance carriers. To make an appointment or find out more information about the services we offer please call Guest Services at 919-660-6826.
As a reminder Duke IM pediatricians only see patients 5 years of age and up.
Interested in attending one of our free info sessions?